Room 8 vs Reflection

A litte consideration as gift for myself. Friend of mine shared this through ask.fm and this short film deserves a standing applause. He asked me about my thoughts and I answered it directly. This is an insteresting subject. That's why I posted on my blog. Enjoy.




As I read the illustration of the story on YouTube, I think 'Reflection' is about how we see each other in a relationship. In my perspective, it combines two theory between psychoanalytic and existensialism. Remember Freud theory (Le Stade du Miroir/Mirror Stage/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_stage)? It explains why the director uses a mirror to distance the 'Me', 'Myself', and 'The Other'. Conflict is unavoidable in a relationship because it requires the connection between you, yourself, and 'the other'. It could be associated with Sartre's concept of relationship which never works well because the concept of Me, Myself, and The Other give rise to 'SUBJECTIVITY' (refer to: Sartre theory about 'seeing someone through keyhole'). Relationship leads to two things, only two things: MASOCHISM and SADISM.

Let's see it this way, first scenario tells the real world where the couple enjoy their meals, second scenario places curiosity (in urge to know each other, in this case, 'the other' is the partner - it leads to the imaginary side of them) to the step that they feel anxious with a distinct existence of each other (see Sartre's HUIS CLOS script, it's much alike). Final scenario, they see each other in the mirror (the director puts it as a future) where they will argue each other, blame each other later on, for what they've decided. Le Stade Miroir takes place between first and second scenario, when Sartre's view on RELATIOSHIP related to MASOCHISM and SADISM seen in the second to the third scenario.

How it ressembles with 'Room 8'? Room 8 has the same concept about existensialism with a little twist in at Pandora's box as I said. Existensialism in that film more likely to lead to 'The Existence of God' that plays with us with the matchbox. But you can see what makes both films alike: curiosity. I think that's just it.

Comments

Popular Posts