What They Don't Talk When They Talk About Love



What you don't talk when you talk about love? Me, personally, I always believe people do not talk everything when it comes to love. But, I also believe you always have this intention; you failed to hold yourself. You failed not to tell story about yourself to your loved ones. I do not know. Maybe it is just happened to me, remembering that I always love to retell a story. Speaking about love, without being so pretentious, I just want to share something from my perspective. Love, most of the times, build us, in a way love shows that we need a space, in which they can be theirselves. It makes us fully detached from superiority-inferiority kind of relationship. What I try to explain here is when a man and a woman decided to live a life together, they do not walk in a same path. I repeat. They do not walk in a same path, they just walk together while holding hand, in a separated way. That, and love is glued both of them, is my concept of being in love.

My mind is reminisced a bit, it was a rainy day on slightly depressing typical December, I was just finished my interview with Nicoline Patricia. And a friend of mine asked me this question: "What is love to you?" I was trying to remain in silent, to bear in mind that love is that complex to elaborate in only few words, until I decided to tell him this sentence: "Love to me? I do not know. I never know what love is. Love, in my opinion, depending on what point of view do you use. But me, I always love to be in love. I love the idea of being in love. The sparks you feel, the goosebumps you experience, those butterflies on your stomach sort of feeling or rabbit that can not stop to jump off on your brain. All of those feeling. At the same time. The longing of being in love all over again. You know?" I can see his face trambled. He was trying so hard to get what I mean, yet he felt it anyhow. I do not know. I just made an assumption. Before he asked any question, I stopped him with a statement, "For me, there is a difference between love and commitment. Me, myself, still in 'love' area. I refuse to stick in any commitment. Why? Because I still do not get the idea of two people live a life together for a long time, passed through all moments whether it was sad, mad, happy, or boring. In the end, they are succeed. And be still. I am not there yet, into that concept. Soon I will be there, but not now." And then he responded me with another silence. Silence that kills somewhat.

Enough for the long prolog. I am going to start what I actually got, felt, and undergo...after I watched this movie. So, let me introduced you to Mouly Surya, the brainiac (at least, it is me who think so) behind this movie. It is her second film after 'Fiction'. In a way, this is as good as her previous movie - probably better - or best? Copying a summary from IMDb, What They Don't Talk When They Talk About Love is a story about the students are like any other teenagers in Jakarta, Indonesia: they attend classes, pursue artistic endeavors, and fall in love. The most privileged of the bunch, Diana, patiently awaits signs of womanhood and humors her mother's attempts to mold her into the perfect girl. The beautiful Fitri has no shortage of male attention and enters into a passionate affair with, unbeknownst to her, a hearing-impaired punk rocker who is masquerading as a doctor. Meanwhile, Maya, blind since birth, aspires to be an actress and performer. Regardless of physical barriers, the students find ways to communicate and collaborate, enabling them to connect-with each other and to the outside world. It is Indonesian weird-love-story I love so far. I can see a good cinematography here. I have no expertise in this area, but I can assure you that this movie presents a rare point of view (from the scene), how a scene could make you hold your breath. It successfully made me trapped in way not to stop thinking about what the meaning behind the symbol, what the director try to say by presenting details in every scene, what is honestly the second meaning of every character's words, of that, of anything in every scene. If you love movies like (500) Days of Summer, Amélie, or sort of weirdo love story - you will love this one.

Mouly wants to broaden people's perspective about disabled people. You can see how disabled people is somehow gifted. Why? They realise that they already have the limit. They wish, but do not expect. They just live their life to the fullest. That fully matters. And it just is. When it comes to this conclusion. Me pity myself. Why? Because sometimes people tend to forget to give thanks for what they have. And they need people who less-having to keep them alarmed. How distress a person who ever think like that? I am critizing myself here. No offense. Truth is, they do not need to be pitied. It is we who should be pitied for thinking such things. I learned a lot. It is just not about love. It is about life from another perspective. Watch the trailer here:


I can not tell this movie any longer, I could spoil it here. But, one thing I believe you can get. You will be pampered in a very first with a song that stuck on your mind, how Ayushita, Karina Salim, Anggun Priambodo and Nicholas Saputra gave their best to make a complete brizzle puzzles. There is one of my best line I quoted. It is my favorite, "Aku jatuh cinta sama kamu. Mungkin aku hanya jatuh cinta dengan konsep jatuh cinta itu sendiri." So, enough from me. Just watch and make your own opinion. I already wrote mine. Oh and not forget to mention, this movie is selected to Sundance Movie Selection 2013. No wonder how soothing all the music, scene, packaged in one almost perfect and gisshing your brain and heart at the same time?

Comments

Popular Posts