Say Hello to the United States of America



Pictures taken from Instagram Account of Temple University
God is always good. Despite of the fact that some of you probably are unbelievers, expressing gratitude is never wrong whether to God or Universe or things that you hold onto. I end March and greet April with wide smile and warm hug to my loyal readers of this blog, so I really want to share my gratitude here, through this writings.

Before you read further, I would be happy if you readers know beforehand that I don't meet the qualifications because of two things, the language and age burden. The program encourages the scholars in their mid-level career (between the age 30-around 40s) and those who clearly have good skills in english language. Meanwhile, I know exactly how bad my english could be when I'm nervous and I am only 27 years old this year (I'm probably the youngest scholar among all, I suppose).

Other than that, I think it's important to tell you readers that I'm having rough times lately with all financial matters, this adulthood life, doctoral proposal, getting university's permission, and that magic letter (letter of support) from the Professor in Australia, and how all of that could demotivate me to do better, to be better as a teacher, as human being. I slightly lost my sight.

But surprisingly, Universe gives me gimmick. In 26 January, I received an email from US Embassy as I cited here:

"Dear Bu Petsy,

I am writing with good news: we've selected you as Indonesia's top candidate for SUSI (Study of the U.S. Institute) for Scholars on Religious Pluralism in the U.S. Your nomination will now be reviewed by Washington DC. Unfortunately there are likely to be many candidates from countries around the world but we do hope that you'll be selected! As I mentioned in our interview, we should know by April whether or not you'll be selected to go.

Congrats again, and thanks for your interest in the SUSI Program, and thanks to Pira and Jed for providing such a great nomination!

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
M."

Later, US Embassy contacted me again. They said that I got in for the program. The program will be held in Dialogue Institute, Temple University, Philadelphia, USA for six weeks. I am beyond happy to hear the news. I am selected along with other 17 scholars around the world to study more about how the religion and the state interconnected through multi-disiplinary approaches. As an ordinary scholar, from small city, who often doubts my competences in related fields, I feel grateful for what Universe offers me, especially after knowing that Ibu Alissa Wahid was once also a participant (if I'm not mistaken, I read it when I was blog-walking about SUSI Scholars). It's an honor for me to be involved in the same program. Not to mention, I'm kind of impressed with US Embassy that chose me regardless the burdens I specified above. It gives me more faith to the Universe, you know, that everything is possible. Eventhough you face hundred of difficulties and failures, Universe always has its own way to light your small heart and put a little more faith in people.

I'm looking forward to join the program, absorb and learn all new things and meet new scholars from around the world. I really hope that the University where I work, will give me permission to go. I do hope so.

Meanwhile, I wish you readers well in everything you do. I know you too have difficulties in your life, but I want you to know that you're not alone. Life may bring you down, but that light in you and that good people around you will lift you higher than you imagine. Just keep trying.

In the end of this writings, I would say this (like I told some of you in the Alumni Sharing a week ago), "Everyday in my life, I always push myself to deepen my understanding, to broaden my perspective, to learn something new and not giving up because of challenges I face, I always tell myself to have high integrity, to do the right thing eventhough no one is looking, and to give the best out of me despite of the fact that no one will appreciate, because I do it for the good in people, as one human to other human being as it is to Universe. Because I believe, every goodness in this Universe will set comeback to you, anytime. So, always be honest, never ever claim other works as yours, give support, lift others up, and treat yourself as you want to be treated. Last, try, try, try, try no matter how scared you are facing the failures or the shame or anything that you tell to yourself, always have bigger heart to try...Always."

With warmest love,
Jessy Ismoyo


Comments

Popular Posts